Sunday, October 28, 2012

Holiday Weekend

In case anyone was worried, I was not harmed or affected by the violent demonstrations that took place in Prishtina this past week.  To be perfectly honest, I didn't even notice them.  I only heard about them through BBC and from other people here.  The weird thing is that I work just up the road from where they took place, but heard nothing! 


This weekend marked the celebration of the Islamic holiday known here as Bajram (Pronounced, Bai-ram).  It is known as the Festival of the Sacrifice, and for those who can afford it/are very traditional celebrate it with friends and family.  It goes that to properly celebrate it, one purchases a sheep and takes it to the butcher to be cut.  The sheep is cut into 3 pieces, one to be eaten by the purchaser (and immediate family), one piece to be given to friends and other family, and a third to be given to charity.  It's this part that really is commendable about this holiday.  Charity is such a large part of this community, it is especially striking if you were to look at it as a percentage of their income.  For those who do not participate, it is a day off not to be taken for granted.  

It is a little bit eerie, though, throughout the entire Friday morning and afternoon.  It was entirely quiet and desolate, the sky played its part by adopting the Winter Grey to help round out the look!  It's a weird sensation to be in the middle of a capital city, on the main street, and it to appear empty!  It was a little unsettling, but fascinating at the same time.  But, unfortunately, this silence was broken by the discharge of firearms throughout the city. (though more prevalent towards the edges of town)  This is a sign of celebration,  to shoot your weapons into the air!  It is odd to be sitting in the middle of the Central Park and hearing rifles, pistols, and automatic weapons being shot up into the air.  I've heard my fair share of gun shots living in Atlanta, so I wasn't taken aback too much, but it's still a little strange with America having so many ordinances in place to prevent something like this from happening!  My friends and I had come to the Central Park area to find the scenes of the preparation for Bajram, as we had heard this is where the sheep were being prepared for families to pick up.  The Lambchop Massacres (as I affectionately coined it) were witnessed by one of my co-workers and her boyfriend, so I might be importing some of their evidence in once I get a chance to talk to them some more.  

Oh, I forgot to mention, that myself and 2 other Americans got second place in Trivia on Thursday.  We were awarded with a round of drinks, we opted for a shot of Sambuca.  It was my first time drinking it, but I will admit it was rather a pleasant beverage.  It would be perfect as an after dinner sipping "cocktail", similar to Limoncello or Pear Schnapps! 

The rest of the weekend went rather smoothly (outside of GT Football), though it is definitely starting to get colder.  I have looked at this week's forecast and it there are lows in and around freezing.  So I am pumped for that!  However the strangest thing is that Daylight Savings Time ended this morning, so until November 4th, I will actually only be 5 hours ahead of GA rather than the standard 6.  Oh time zones and daylight savings time...

This upcoming weekend I start my travels again, I will be spending the weekend in the city of Prizren.  I have heard good things about this place, so I am excited to finally see it.  I might even get to see some snow!  This month we are also planning a trip to Albania for their 100th year Independence Day, so that could be a once in a life time event!  

We have tentatively decided on a Thanksgiving festival, with some potential and talk about purchasing a turkey, live and gobbling, that will go from start to meal.  I can't think of a better way to spend my first Abroad Thanksgiving, besides kicking it old school.  

No comments:

Post a Comment